FINNNISH SOCIETY for CHILD PSYCHIATRY
Child Psychiatry has a history of almost a hundred years in Finland. In 1920’s the first department of Child Psychiatry was established in Tampere, Finland. In 1952 Finnish Child Psychiatrists started to organise meetings and the Finnish Society of Child Psychiatry was established in 1956. The number of members is currently 286. The Board of the Society consists of the President and five Board Members elected for two years. There are further four subcommittees: Educational Committee, Ethical Committee, Committee of Children’s Mental Health Services and Committee of Infant Mental Health. Also the Section of Medical Doctors specialising in Child Psychiatry is part of the Society.
The aim of the Society is to support the development of Child Psychiatry as a discipline in Medical Sciences and also to function as a connecting link between the Child Psychiatrists in Finland and the international community of the field. The Board of the Society provides statements requested for the authorities as well as professional organisations about issues concerning Child Psychiatry and children in general. The society also co-operates with various other societies and organisations aiming to strengthen the wellbeing of the children. The Society organised in 1986 the establishment The Child Psychiatric Research Foundation (Finland) and supports in close contact the functions of this Foundation.
The Society organises twice a year a two-day seminars of various topics in Child Psychiatry. The annual general meetings are held during these seminars, which are also important get together events for the members. Newsletters are sent 3-4 times a year to the members.
President: Kirsti Kumpulainen, MD Secretary: Kaarina Kemppinen, MD Treasurer: Kaija Ikäheimo, MD Board members: Jorma Piha, Professor; Sari Iltanen, MD; Ilona Luoma, MD; Tiina Tirkkonen, MD